Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Sink stopper

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 07:04:34 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:58:19 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 1/6/2019 10:40 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> > My experience over the decades I have lived with a half dozen or so sinks, is that a stainless
>> > adjustable (open or closed) stopper that has small holes or slots in it for water to go through
>> > when it is on an "open" setting, is that so far, they have all been a standard size. All of them.
>> > OTOH, I have always had a double sink, with garbage disposal on one side. I used to buy
>> > new ones at KMart. Now that they have closed, I will go to Ace Hardware. I have never
>> > purchased one that did not fit, although I did mistakenly once purchase one that was only a
>> > stopper, and didn't have the ability to stay open unless I tipped it at a slant in the drain.
>> >
>> > N.
>> >

>> Veering a bit off topic but still about sink stoppers, last year I had
>> the pesky pop-up stoppers in my bathroom sinks disconnected and bought
>> good old fashioned rubber stoppers. I got tired of dealing with
>> slow/clogged drains in the bathroom sinks. Products like Drain-O and
>> Liquid Plumr were a waste of money. Despite what online videos show,
>> the Zip-It drain cleaning tool was hindered by the pop-up mechanism. No
>> longer a worry. Those little rubber stoppers make things so much
>> easier! I went to a local hardware store and was surprised by all the
>> different sizes of bathroom sink stoppers. I needed a 1-1/4" (very
>> small) stopper.
>>
>> Jill

>Except when cleaning the sink, I never use the stopper. Even then, I
>close the stopper only to conveniently clean the stopper itself.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

There are stainless steel wire mesh screens that can cover the drain
hole to prevent hair from causing clogs. My wife has long hair that
sometimes breaks off that would otherwise clog the sink.... Amazon has
those screens. The screen lifts off so the original stopper can be
used... there are several styles:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2CKZOEUK9KWNV
We have this one and it works very well, as you can see it's available
in a few different sizes, and the screen is easy to form with a
finger:
https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Lava...screens+1+inch
These screens save a lot of grief having to fish hair from the drains,
or paying a plumber... before ordering the screens I ordered a 10"
long ss tweezer and struggled with cleaning drains and needed to use a
flashlight to see down the drains. The drain screen eliminated the
problem.... will also prevent losing jewelry and contact lenses. The
only time I use the original stopper is for shaving.