Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Graham Graham is offline

Default Pronunciation Question

On 2019-01-06 8:11 a.m., Sheila Page wrote:
In message ,
DaleW writes
On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-5, cruciverbalist wrote:
My entire wine drinking life (25+ years) I have always pronounced the
"ja" at the end of Rioja and Verdejo as "ho." However, in the most
recent episode of The Wine Show, Joe Fattorini et al pronounced the
final syllable as "ko." Have I been making a mistake all these years?
Or were they using a regional Spanish dialect?

Hmmm, I've always pronounced Rioja¬* "ree oh ha" and Verdejo "Veer day
ho" but no confidence that is correct. But have definitely been to
dinners with several Rioja producers without noticing any
dramatically difference pronunciations (though certainly I can't
replicate their pronunciations!)

As in English, pronunciations can vary.¬* The Spanish j sound is
normally slightly more guttural than a normal h in English, but
certainly not a k.¬* If you are saying 'ree oh ha' your r is probably
farther from a Spanish r than your h is from the j.¬* I think anyone
would know what you mean.

But isn't a short "o" as in "not", not the long one as in "oh"?

But isn't it.........