Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Spice Island Curry Powders

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 3:44:20 PM UTC-10, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> > As if €œcurry powder�‚¬? makes a curry....and only curry.

> I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
> seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of curry
> powder.
>
> A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
> more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I put
> it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>
> --
> Joy Beeson
> joy beeson at comcast dot net
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I have used curry powder as you have - it's a pretty good idea. My wife and I used to eat Hawaiian style curry from a lunch wagon when we were going to school in the mid-seventies. We'd share a plate of it under a tree. It was a wonderful time of our lives.

The lunchwagon was named "Grace's Lunchwagon." The owners named it after their little daughter. They opened up a restaurant next door to where I work. I usually see their daughter working there. The curry still looks the same but the taste is a disappointment. The cook is using about twice the amount of curry powder than would be appropriate. I have no explanation for this.. That's the breaks.