Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Spice Island Curry Powders

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 20:55:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
>> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:47:26 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>> > I've never made a curry in my life, and don't recall ever so much as
>> > seeing a picture of one -- but I've used up quite a few cans of
>> > curry powder.
>> >
>> > A subliminal pinch of curry powder in chicken gravy makes it taste
>> > more like chicken, for example. The last time I opened the can, I
>> > put it into devilled eggs. (I liked the horseradish eggs better.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Joy Beeson
>> > joy beeson at comcast dot net
>> > http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

>> I have a small curry plant growing in a pot on my front west-facing
>> window.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>There is no such thing John. Look up 'curry'. It's a spice blend.

There is a curry plant but it has nothing to do with Indian cooking,
and certainly has nothing to do with cooking Indian curry.
https://www.recipetips.com/glossary-...urry-plant.asp

In Indian cookery curry is simply a word for stew, there are as many
variations of curry as there are Indian cooks who cook stew.... really
no different from any other ethnic cooks who cook stew, Indian cooks
don't skim off the fat, they serve it with a good inch of fat floating
at the surface... that's been my experience with the finest NYC Indian
restaurants. I think Indian cooking is disgusting.... a tureen of
schtinkin lamb greeze and pittifully few veggies. You'll never catch
me in an Indian restaurant again... Indian cookery is 5th world
garbage.