Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default sugarless drinks

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:25:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:17:02 PM UTC-8, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 03 Jan 2019 04:06:22a, l not -l told us...
>>

>> > It was probably a regional thing. Back in those days, most widely
>> > sold soda was produced by local/regional bottlers who bought syrup
>> > from the "names", mixed, bottled and distributed it.
>> >
>> > Most of my knowledge of soda from "back in the day" came not from
>> > drinking it but from stocking the coolers in my grandfather's
>> > store. Soda was a very occasional treat for us, maybe one every
>> > few weeks. But, I do recall that in western Ky in the 50s, at one
>> > time we sold the small bottles of Coke, 7 Up and Dr Pepper.
>> > Regional brands, Royal Crown, Sun Crest, Bubble Up, Double Cola,
>> > Grapette, etc came in larger bottles, 10 or 12 ounce. The
>> > regionals outsold the nationals due to more for the same $$. When
>> > the "nationals" became available at our store, their sales
>> > improved. By the time we sold the store in 1960, top sellers were
>> > Royal Crown, Dr Pepper and Sun Crest Orange.
>> >

>> Yes, back in the 1950s and probably befoe that, thru at least the
>> 1960s, there were a huge number of bottlers, mostly regional. I
>> frequently visited my grandparents in Mississippi and always enjoyed
>> the many fruit flavoars not available where my home was in Ohio.
>> Most did come in 10 or 12 ounce bottles. You mentioned Grapette, and
>> there was also Nugrape. I liked both. Of the colas Royal Crown and
>> Double Cola ere very popular in the south, perhaps even more popular
>> than Coke. These many years later I can't remember all the flavors
>> but two of my favorites were a berry flavored drink and anotehr one
>> that was almost a flourescent green in color and I think it was a
>> lemon-lime, heavier on the lime. I'd really like to revisit all
>> these some day, but that's not likely to happen.
>>

>I don't know about "regional." Royal Crown sold well into the
>Midwest. Pizza delivery places carried it as opposed to Coke or
>Pepsi, and they sold it cheaper. And Royal Crown produced the first
>big diet soda, Diet Rite, available widely.
>
>Regional brands I think of names like Faygo in Detroit or Canfield's in
>Chicago.

In Brooklyn we had Good Health Seltza in siphon bottles delivered...
the company also delivered White Rock beverages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rock_Beverages
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rachel...age-co-s-girl/
http://www.whiterockbeverages.com/
The White Rock girl is still my favorite logo.