Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 AM posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default Pronunciation Question

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-5, cruciverbalist wrote:
My entire wine drinking life (25+ years) I have always pronounced the
"ja" at the end of Rioja and Verdejo as "ho." However, in the most
recent episode of The Wine Show, Joe Fattorini et al pronounced the
final syllable as "ko." Have I been making a mistake all these years?
Or were they using a regional Spanish dialect?

Hmmm, I've always pronounced Rioja "ree oh ha" and Verdejo "Veer day ho" but no confidence that is correct. But have definitely been to dinners with several Rioja producers without noticing any dramatically difference pronunciations (though certainly I can't replicate their pronunciations!)