Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default BaccalÃ*

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 5:40:48 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>

> > Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.
> >

> The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

That's a good question. My guess is that it's not food but the feelings of isolation and alienation brought on by our always connected society. My guess is that the young people in this country are feeling the squeeze of their diminishing quality of life and outlook for the future. The alarming rise in the suicide rate will probably be accompanied by a drop in the population growth rate in the US. Well, that's my feeling about it anyway.

The picture ain't as rosy as the boomers paint it. They got the luxury of owning a home and being able to deny that the earth's climate is increasing in temperature at an alarming rate because mostly, it won't affect their self-indulgent asses. The young folks don't.