Posted to rec.food.cooking
joecool joecool is offline

Default Baccalà

wrote:

>>> Was that salt cod and ackee? We had a Jamaican nanny many years ago who
>>> prepared that for us. Very unusual:-) She also introduced us to rice
>>> with peas, i.e., rice, red beans and coconut.

>> You guessed it! My father was born in the barracks in Kingston just
>> ahead of the major earthquake, he retained a love of Jamaican food all
>> his life.
>>

> Okay, well joecool was posting about using it in an Italian or
> Portuguese dish and that's what I saw on the cooking show. I really
> don't know a thing about baccala other than what I saw on the show.
>
> Jill

I should note that I had seen baccalà before stored at room temp, the fish
looking stiff as a board. The type of salt cod Costco carried was just firm
to the touch, skinned and deboned.

I actually heard the room temp stable salt cod does well soaking for 2
days. There are also apparently pre-soaked ones for sale.

It still held a good salty flavor once cooked, I can imagine it would be
good in a chowder or stew in place of clams.

Joe