Gerry

In article >, Musashi
> wrote:

> There are two basic "kinds" of waribashi used in Japanese
> restaurants. The cheaper kind does look like pine (or other wood) and
> is cut so that there are 4 sides. This is the type where sometimes
> one screws up and they break unevenly requiring a stealthy stretch
> over the the empty table next to you to grab another set. (see top-
> white birch waribashi) The other kind is bamboo. Although square at
> the top where the two hashi are joined, the rest of the chopsticks
> are each circular and are tapered at the end. This type is also
> fairly common especially in the better Japanese resaurants.

I'm surprised that the later (the good chopsticks) are bamboo. Seems it
would be more difficult to produce. Are they actually made from bamboo
pulp?

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.