Renee

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Renee" writes:
>>
>>I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
>>Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be
>>made
>>of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
>>clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
>>as my regular pots and pans.

> I recommend the Farberware SS Classic roasting pan... been using the same
> for
> more than 30 years, they're strong and have no rolled edges so is easy to
> keep
> them clean, dishwasher safe too. I like that they're not so deep as to
> prevent
> proper browning... deep pans inhibit browning. Placing one pan inside
> another,
> as some do with aluminum disposables greatly interferes with proper
> browning of
> large roasts. I have the large Farberware pan for turkeys and other large
> roasts, I also have two of the Farberware medum sized roasting pans, these
> with
> a non-stick coating, I like them because their size permits that both will
> fit
> comfortably on my oven rack side by side... the long ways front to back...
> it's
> like having an extra oven. Before purchasing any large roasting pan
> measure
> your oven carefully to determine that the pan will fit on the rack and
> especially that the oven door will close properly... not checking for fit
> is
> the number one way that glass panel oven doors get shattered. I think the
> Farberware Classic roasting pans are the best on the market, will last at
> least
> two lifetimes worth of constant use, and are reasonably priced... no one
> needs
> a $100 dollar roasting pan, not unless they need something to
> razzle-dazzle
> folks so it's not noticed how they can't cook.

My pots and pans are Farberware and have served me well for the last 25
years. So I think this might be good choice as you suggest.

Do you know what size Farberware pan you use for turkeys? I see they have
two sizes that might be good: Medium 11 x 17, and Large 13 x 20. I was
thinking the medium one would be big enough for a 15 - 18 lb turkey. What do
you think?

Thanks again,

Renee