Alan

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:21:49 +1000, "Annette" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been looking
>> for a particular leafy vegetable that comes in some packaged salads. It
>> looks like a small spinach leaf with a beet red strip down the center. I
>> think it might be baby swiss chard. At any rate, my daughter loves the
>> stuff and I can't seem to find those leaves just by themselves. I'm

>hoping
>> I can grow some next summer.
>>
>> --
>> See my webpage:
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm
>>

>Those are simply the leaves of immature red beets. That's why they have
>that red vein down the centre. If you can grow your own beets, then you can
>pick some of the little leaves for use in salads or stir frys. Beets are
>dead easy to grow, you can pick leaves for your daughter, ( just one or two
>from each plant), and still have the beets to eat as well! They don't seem
>to mind the loss of one or two leaves. I suppose it is possible to do the
>same with the yellow ones too!
>
>And Alan, it looks like those plant breeders have now released some new
>versions of our old silver beet, and developed the red and bright yellow
>beets for leaf production, instead of the swollen root that we call "beets".
>I saw them in BiLo just the other day. The stalks seem to be the main part
>that is used (for the colour I guess). They are about the size and thickness
>of rhubarb.
>
>Last year I also purchased a fairly new variety of miniature white turnip in
>the veggie section, the "root" only grows into small gobes, rather like
>those little round, red radishes. Yes, it is completely white, thin-skinned
>and great if the raw turnip is finely sliced into a salad or stir fry. They
>are just a little peppery, crisp and crunchy. We loved them.
>
>There are just so many delicious new items now available in supermarkets in
>Oz. Have you tried the marinated button mushrooms, or those teeny weeny
>little pickled gerkins? And of course there are the small lebanese cucumbers
>with their thin skins, for salads, and the asian "egg plants" like little
>black sausages, for italian dishes.
>
>Ooooooooh, the food, the food!!!!!
>
>And all so low carb too.
>
>Annette
>Now you have made me feel hungry!!!!! What's for dinner, I ask my SO? Heh
>heh.

Hi Annette and Julie

We grow Fordhhok giants.

Now you know why I added:

"And anything else I may have forgotten that you like or Quentin
suggested:-)" to my original stir-fry ingredients list. There are so
many veges out there. But I tried to include many of the things Quentin
recommended such as onion, garlic, yellow capsicum, beans etc. The
turmeric is something I use a lot because of advice on my cancer list.

Effectively, add whatever you like that's in season but maintain the
core items. Sometimes you may need to check the cooking method or timing
to add it to the mix.

Mushrooms, to me, are the perfect weight-loss diet food (add them late,
like tomatoes). Taste good and almost zero carbs and calories/kj,
provided you don't drown them in oil when you cook them.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.