Julie Bove

"Alan" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:50:59 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Alan" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> Simple stir fries
> >>
> >> They never spike me.
> >>
> >> If you omit the aromatics and extras preparation, a simple soy sauce
> >> stir-fry lunch takes five minutes from fridge to plate.
> >>
> >> Base Per person:
> >>
> >> One or two cups of stir-fry mix (see previous post). Extras such as
> >> spinach, chard or silver-beet can be added at this stage.

> >I've seen golden beets or red beets. But what is silver-beet?
> >
> ><snip>

> Hi Julie
>
> Part of the same family as swiss chard. Similar to Spinach when cooked,
> but larger leaves. I grow them in the back-yard and keep harvesting
> leaves from the plants for a month or two in season. They don't have a
> bulb like sugar-beets.
> http://myveggiegarden.freeservers.com/Silver_beet.htm.
> or http://home.vtown.com.au/dbellamy/ve...s/silver1.html.

Interesting! I wonder if they go by another name here? I've been looking
for a particular leafy vegetable that comes in some packaged salads. It
looks like a small spinach leaf with a beet red strip down the center. I
think it might be baby swiss chard. At any rate, my daughter loves the
stuff and I can't seem to find those leaves just by themselves. I'm hoping
I can grow some next summer.

--
See my webpage: