Old 19-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Julie Bove

"Alan" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:50:59 GMT, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .
Simple stir fries

They never spike me.

If you omit the aromatics and extras preparation, a simple soy sauce
stir-fry lunch takes five minutes from fridge to plate.

Base Per person:

One or two cups of stir-fry mix (see previous post). Extras such as
spinach, chard or silver-beet can be added at this stage.

I've seen golden beets or red beets. But what is silver-beet?

snip

Hi Julie

Part of the same family as swiss chard. Similar to Spinach when cooked,
but larger leaves. I grow them in the back-yard and keep harvesting
leaves from the plants for a month or two in season. They don't have a
bulb like sugar-beets.
http://myveggiegarden.freeservers.com/Silver_beet.htm.
or http://home.vtown.com.au/dbellamy/ve...s/silver1.html.

Interesting! I wonder if they go by another name here? I've been looking
for a particular leafy vegetable that comes in some packaged salads. It
looks like a small spinach leaf with a beet red strip down the center. I
think it might be baby swiss chard. At any rate, my daughter loves the
stuff and I can't seem to find those leaves just by themselves. I'm hoping
I can grow some next summer.

--
See my webpage: