Posted to rec.food.preserving
notbob notbob is offline

Default I'm now in the game

On 10/20/2018 5:31 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

> Once the jars are thoroughly cold, you remove the bands (which we
> called "rings" in the forties). This makes it easier to spot jars
> that didn't seal -- sometimes a bit of food under the seal takes a few
> days to manifes

As I suspected.

The BBB sez, "Remove the band. Gently try to remove the lid with your
fingertips. If the lid is concave and cannot be removed with your
fingertips, the jar is vacuum sealed". It goes on to explain how to
store "ringless" jars. I'm still learning.

My beets have already been tossed, so it's all about pressure cooking.
At 8K elev, I'm not entirely new to the idea. I jes couldn't get 1 inch
of water above my pint jars (half pint, yes!) in my current 5 qt
Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker.

Thnx fer the info, Joy.

nb