Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default I'm now in the game

heyjoe wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 09:43:55 -0600
> in Message-ID: >
> notbob > wrote :

>>> i've included caveats. and it's not just Mom, but
>>> now also me. and that means probably 15,000 - 20,000
>>> quarts of food with very few failures.

>> I once put my Fluke temp meter on my old renters-grade electric oven.
>> It would swing as high ....and as low.... as 30 degrees (F) above/below
>> set temp.
>>
>> I did the same to my daughter's renters-grade GAS oven. It would swing
>> only 5 degrees (F) above/below set point. I've yet to do the same to
>> my current gas oven, so I cannot say, with any certainty, that gas
>> stoves are better than electric stoves.
>>
>> nb

> Temperature fluctuation s aside, the real problem, as I see it, is that
> air doesn't transfer heat (or cold) as effective;y as water. That
> increases the processing times, which assume water is the medium
> transferring the heat for sterilization.

you do understand that you are not sterilizing anything
using BWB. you are killing off some microbes, but there
are others that will survive such processing. which is
why i always specify that we do only high-acid items for
the most part (i don't do any low acid items ever, Mom
does some once in a while but i don't eat them).

if you are canning where sterilization is critical (low
acid items) then you must pressure can.

as for heat transfer, i always hot pack jars. so the
heat in the oven is mainly for sealing the jars/creating
a vacuum. almost everything seals up with 15-30 minutes
of oven time.

> At close to 8,000 feet, known/good processing times and proceedures are
> already long. Who wants to increase them?

the longest process i run here is about 35 minutes
and that is when the oven is full (it holds 24 quarts
but i usually keep it down to 20).

songbird