rick etter

"BlueHeron" > wrote in message
news

> rick etter wrote:
>
> > "BlueHeron" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >

> >>rick etter wrote:

> <snip>
> >>
> >>The one thing that you seem to keep forgetting Rick, is that language,
> >>especially the English langauge, changes.
> >>======================

> > Not and have any real meaning...

> Not true, becasue the /meaning/ of the word changes for everyone.
>
> A "hack" is no longer primarily someone who rides around aimlessly on a
> horse, nor is it a prostitute. To some degree it is a poorly written
> piece of work that gets the job done, and mostly it is a quick and dirty
> piece of programming code. Yet, at one time, it had completely
> different meaning.
>
> A "geek" is no longer primarly someone who will eat anything (especially
> live animals).
>
> That is the nature of language.
>

> >>Find a dictionary that puts ethics in to the word "vegan" and I will be
> >>impressed. Most dictionaries give the dietary definition, and so that
> >>is how many people us it.

> > =================
> > But, it is not a 'dietary' choice. It is, and alwasy will be a

lifestylr
> > choice. Except of course by those that want the word but are too lazy

> > actually live the lifestyle. You can change the definition all you want

> > fit your lazyness, but the real meaning is as it was coined in the 40s.

> Wrong. It has been, and currently is, a lifestyle choice. Will it
> always be? I wouldn't presume to say, but I don't think so. There are
> far too many people, at least here in Quebec, who adopt it for health
> reasons, and don't care, or know, about the ethics behind it.

=================
Then they are not vegan, are they? There is already a perfectly good word
that describes that diet, vegetarian.

Sure,
> "stict-vegetarian" would be a better label, but most of them use
> "vegetalien" which directly translates to "vegan".

================
And they are wrong and lazy.

> Language and culture has started to corrupt the principles behind it.

==============
Not if your truely believe you are a vegan.

> >>I am afraid that you might just have to learn to deal with that.

> > ====================
> > I have, that you make excuses for laziness is apparent...

> <snip>
>
> Vegan, as an adjective, describes four main things:
>
> * People (who avoid all animal products)
> * diets (exclusivly plant based)
> * food (containing no animal products)
> * products (containing no animal products)
>
> I can't think of anything else to which we apply the word, but it's
> always possible that I have missed something.
>
> Now, as a noun, a vegan is a person who follows a vegan lifestyle.
>
> From the Memorandum of Association of the British Vegan Society
> (http://www.vegansociety.com/html/abo...memorandum.php), it breaks
> the definition down in to two parts. The first part describes the
> philosophy and ethics behind it, and the second part describes the
> dietary terms:
>
> "The word 'veganism' denotes a philosophy and way of living which
> seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of
> exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other
> purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of
> animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, including humans
> and the environment.

==============
Why did you snip this from the post I made? Again, there is no emphsis on
diet, is there? It's a lifestyle, just like I said...

Here, I'll restore what you dishonestly snipped out....

restore cuts>>>>>>

"...When we understand the origin of the term and the guiding principles
established by the founders of the vegan movement, we see that, although
inspired by vegetarianism, vegan living encompasses far more than one's
diet. In fact, to be a full member of the American Vegan Society, one must
not only be vegan in diet but must also exclude animal products from one's
clothing, cosmetics, toiletries, household goods and everyday commodities.
Contrary to popular belief, people who eliminate all animal-based foods from
their diet but who continue to wear non-vegan clothing or use non-vegan
products are not vegan..."
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...q=watson+vegan

"...Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of,
and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life. It
applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant kingdom to
the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and its
derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all commodities
derived wholly or in part from animals ..."
http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

"...veganism is a "way of life," and "a philosophy." Neither emphasizes diet
over other aspects of compassionate living, because in vegan practice no one
area is more significant than another; all are expected to be implemented
simultaneously..."
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/essays/namegame.htm

Now, you can pretend that dictionary versions are the 'truth', or you can
admit that veganism is "not" a diet...

> In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all
> products derived wholly or partly from animals."
>
> So, when I say "I practive a vegan diet", I am specifiying in terms that
> are easy for people to understand what it is that I eat.
>
> Considering that this is a newsgroup about the food, not the ethics, I
> think that is pretty fair. What I do or do not do with the rest of it,
> is frankly, non of your concern. But most of us are in a.f.v. for the
> dietary aspect.

It's about *vegan*. Try to keep up, and not be so lazy, killer.