Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2014 FX Pichler

On 9/25/18 8:48 AM, DaleW wrote:
> No wine with dinner (dubu kimchi) Sat as I was picking up Betsy at
> LaGuardia late, but Sunday the 2014 FX Pichler Loibner Berg Gruner
> Veltliner Smaragd with grilled swordfish, corn/cape gooseberry/basil
> salad, quinoa, and caprese. Really full-bodied GV, green apple and
> peach with white pepper, smoke, and herb. Acidity is enough to keep
> it from being ponderous, big yet balanced wine. Yet from a food
> matching standpoint I wished I had brought up a Federspiel instead.
> B+/B

This comports with my own experience. Granted, I am also a devoted
bottom feeder, so Federspiels fit better within my budget, but I also
like them better food than Smaragd. It's much the same with Mosel
Riesling: I find Kabinett and some Spätlesen to be far easier to pair
with food than Auslesen and higher Prädikats. Of course, RS also plays
a role.

Mark Lipton