Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiled (in the shell) Peanuts

On 2018-08-12 10:41 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>> I've known very few adults who claim to have nut allergies, peanut or
>> othrwise, especially in older adults.Â* It seems to be more prevalent
>> from the age of young children thru the 30s or perhaps 40s.Â* It also
>> appars that more people have reactions if they actually eat the nuts
>> than if merely exposed to them in an enclosed space.

Nuts tend to bother me. I think it is more of a digestive issue and
possible diverticulitis than an allergy. I can eat a couple peanuts or
peanut butter cookies. I can get away with eating a few cashews of some
slivered almonds. Walnuts and pecans cause more problems for me than
they are worth.

>> What ****es me off is making areas "peanut free", as in airplanes,
>> etc.Â* Since those affected are in the vast minority, I think they
>> should wear a mask or be segegated in another area.Â* Why punish
>> everyone?

I might suggest that it is one of those things that people are more
likely to support of it is their kid who has the nasty reaction. When
we were kids some of us just didn't make it. I am not going to call
anyone a liar, but I just don't understand how just being in a room
where someone else is eating peanuts could lead to a serious and
possible fatal reaction.

OTOH, I have been stung by hornets and wasps dozens of times. It has
happened at least once a year for as long as I can remember. Last fall
I had a bad reaction to a hornet and now have to carry an epipen. I
don't know if it was a sudden change in the way I react to them or the
location. I often get stung on the neck when out on the motorcycle, so
perhaps there was an accumulative effect?? I don't know.

What puzzles me is the way the medical authorities keep changing their
advice about feeding babies allergens.