Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hank Rogers[_2_] Hank Rogers[_2_] is offline

Default Southern Style Pimiento Cheese

l not -l wrote:
> On 11-Aug-2018, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 11 Aug 2018 09:39:16a, l not -l told us...

>>> Thanks for the kind words. I was just second-guessing myself as
>>> to whether I gave a complete enough answer to help the OP. I saw
>>> the OP was from Netherlands and began to wonder if, being
>>> unfamiliar with pimento, perhaps they were unavailable there.

>> I wouldn't worry about the OP. There are enough Google entries to
>> give the OP a very good definition.
>>
>>> As an addendum to my original reply, I'd like to add that, IMO, a
>>> suitable substitute would be diced roasted red pepper. Based upon
>>> my wanderings through the various (country identified) aisles of
>>> our international grocer, many countries have "canned" roasted red
>>> (sweeet) peppers.
>>>

>> I have used roasted red peppers for other things but never tried it
>> in pimiento cheese. I have to admit that my pimiento cheese is
>> somewhat on the bland side, but that's the way I like it. I'm not
>> sue if I would like the roasted red peppers in the mix, but I didn't
>> want to give up a pound of cheese to something possibly
>> unpredictable. OTOH, it might be very good!

> I would never try it if jarred diced pimento were available; but, if for
> some reason they weren't, I'd give it a try.
>
> As it happens, I had a pickled red pepper (from a jar packed in Poland)
> stuffed with cottage cheese with lunch. It might have been a bit more
> piquant than diced pimento; but, diced and mixed into pimento cheese, it
> probably wouldn't have been hugely different than pimento.

It was a sort of Polish pickled Chiles relleno?

I have used jarred roasted red peppers in pimento cheese. It doesn't
make much difference. But I am not a connoisseur, super-taster, nor have
any allergies or intolerance.