Old 11-08-2018, 05:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Does it really matter? Does it really matter? is offline

Default Pitmaster's Log Book, back it on Kickstarter

On 8/8/2018 09:11, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 13:09:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 07:33:12 -0700 (PDT), "Rob \"The Rib Guy\""
wrote:

I just launched the Pitmaster's Log Book on Kickstarter yesterday. The Pitmaster's Log Book is a 100 page log book to document all the aspects of each cook.

The idea originated from a frustration I had. I didnt have an easily accessible place to document every time I cooked barbeque. For years, I wrote things down on different types of paper making it difficult to retrace my steps with any cook I did. At this point, there are about 16 years of cooks documented on different types of paper.

Seems silly to me to put that time and money into a log book when so
much free information is readily available.

Just go here
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

The log book is to record your own successes and failures so you can
improve on them. Books (or FAQs) just have recipes and probably
don't describe your preferred temperatures and times.

It's still pretty easy to buy one of those black and white speckled
composition books for $1 and record everything there. Or there are
several others out there probably not selling well already,
including one by Raichlen.

Speaking of BBQ (which we haven't done lately), I've been reduced to
some cheapo Walmart upright smoker I got from a friend. It leaks
like a sieve even after gasket tape and uses a lot of lump, but it
works. Have a full rack of spares (which are getting hard to find
anymore - they're all St Louis) I'll be cooking probably tomorrow.
Have done a few pastrimis lately in conjunction with my sous vide,
but I nobody ever seems to be happy with their pastrami, myself
included. My best one came out of a chuck roast, smoked low and
then sous vide @ 134 for 22 hours to med-rare. Plus an extra quick
sear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

And a brisket flat cooked almost the same way:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

-sw

Damn near looks like corned beef! I'd sit down for some of that though..
Your pictures don't disappoint.