Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default dsi1 : Of Hawaiian Interest (Sugar + Electricity)

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 1:28:16 PM UTC-10, GM wrote:
> Pretty cool, I did not know this:
>
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-histo...me-electrified
>
> Why Hawaii Got Electricity Before Most of the Rest of the World
>
> In 1881, Thomas Edison convinced King Kalakaua that electric streetlamps
> were superior to gas
>
> 'In 1881, King David Kalakaua of Hawaii went on a world tour, the first of
> its kind for a sitting monarch. He circumnavigated the globe, stopping in
> Asia, India, Egypt, Europe, and the United States. Among other things, he
> sought to encourage immigration from the Asia-Pacific region, as Hawaiis
> dwindling population had created a labor shortage on its sugar
> plantations. But the king also wanted to introduce the culture of Hawaii
> to the world, and he was curious about modern science and technology.
>
> When he arrived in Paris in August 1881, the International Exposition of
> Electricity was just getting under way. The exposition showcased the
> latest advancements in electrical technology, such as dynamos, batteries,
> and lighting. The first International Electrical Congress also convened
> during the exposition, with participants presenting papers, discussing
> research, and deciding on definitions for the ampere, the volt, the ohm,
> and other electrical units.
>
> King Kalakaua visited the exposition and was eager to learn more. George
> Jones [PDF], cofounder of The New York Times, met the king in Vienna and
> promised an introduction to Thomas Edison. That meeting took place on 25
> September 1881 in Edisons New York City office. According to The Sun (New
> York), the king and the inventor discussed not only the technicalities of
> electric lights but also the business of selling power.
>
> As described in The Sun, Hawaiis attorney general, William N. Armstrong,
> told Edison that the kingdom had a volcano €œthat burns a thousand million
> tons of coal a day.€ He jokingly added: €œYou could put your boilers on top
> of the volcano and get power enough to supply the country.€ Apparently,
> Edison didnt get the joke and asked if that was where Hawaii mined its
> coal. Armstrong replied that in fact Hawaii imported its coal from
> Australia, but the volcano was their great hope. Some people have since
> speculated that Armstrongs remark indicated an early interest in
> geothermal power, but it was more likely a failed attempt at humor.
>
> In any event, Kalakaua explained to Edison that he was keen to upgrade the
> kerosene lamps that lit the streets of Honolulu but couldnt decide
> between gas and electricity. He wanted to see a full and practical trial
> of electric lights before deciding. For that, the king had to wait another
> five years.
>
> On 21 July 1886, Honolulu businessman Charles Otto Berger organized a
> demonstration of electric lights at Iolani Palace. It drew a crowd of
> 5,000 spectators and included a Hawaiian band and a military parade.
>
> A few months later, the royal residency and palace grounds were fully
> [...]

Interesting article. The Royal Hawaiians were an oddly progressive lot and
were eager to learn the ways of the English and Americans. In the end, they
got more than they bargained for. In the scant 115 years after Captain Cook
landed on these shores, the Hawaiians lost everything and the Kingdom of
Hawaii was gone. Some people still feel raw about that.

==

Understandable Has that independence been recovered at all? Pardon me
for my ignorance, but I knew nothing about Hawaii till I came here.