Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dinner tonight

On 8/9/2018 4:16 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:43:16 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> I bought one of those upright smokers for my middle brother back in the
>> 1980's. He decided it would be a great idea to smoke the Thanksgiving
>> turkey. (He also thought it was a great idea to go out partying with
>> his friends until 3AM.) He dragged himself out of bed around 6AM to get
>> it started. I forget what type of wood chips he used in the water pan.
>> Well, it was so freaking cold outside the coals wouldn't stay lit.
>>
>> He thought he'd be able to just let the smoker do its thing and he could
>> catch some zzzz's. It didn't work out that way. LOL
>>
>> I'm already not a fan of turkey (although if forced I'll take some meat
>> from the drumstick). That smoked turkey tasted awful. No good using
>> the meat for leftovers like turkey tetrazzini or turkey pot pie, either.
>> Live and learn!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> The more I read online reviews the more I think I'll just stick with the
> charcoal Weber grill and do my smoking on it. So many just average reviews
> and manufacturers not standing about their smokers when they die after 5 uses.

I don't know that this one died, it was more a matter of bad timing and
outdoor temperature. I think it was a Brinkman, I'm not sure.

I'm not all that interested in smoked food. I do know this was a
failure. And yes, I can smoke food on my charcoal Weber kettle if I
want to... I just don't want to.

Jill