Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_3_] John Kuthe[_3_] is offline

Default semi-hot item in cold fridge causes sour-ness

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:20:45 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > What we are actually talking about here is the RATE of cooling. I have a big ole 21qt pressure cooker I use just as a large cooking pot for large batches, like now my "Baked Beans" which never see an oven. I have a non-climate controlled screen room just off my kitchen, and in the Winter I call it my "big refrigerator", and immediately after cooking a large pot of "hot" I love putting it all in my COLD SCREEN ROOM!
> >
> > And no, putting something hot into a COLD place is NOT gonna make it "spoil sooner". Think physics AND biology!! Cooking is physics and spoilage is biology!

> I don't think anyone here was talking about a hot pot spoiling
> sooner by putting it immediately into a cold place, John. The
> concern is putting very hot food in the fridge and warming up all
> the other food in there that might spoil sooner because of that.

Aha! I misundertook! ;-)

Yes, which is also why in my freezer I like to keep frozen closed plastic bottles of water as solid little nuggets of COLD! Good in a cooler too! Block ice which does not get wet if it melts!

John Kuthe...