Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default semi-hot item in cold fridge causes sour-ness

"Gary" wrote in message ...

John Kuthe wrote:

> What we are actually talking about here is the RATE of cooling. I have a
> big ole 21qt pressure cooker I use just as a large cooking pot for large
> batches, like now my "Baked Beans" which never see an oven. I have a
> non-climate controlled screen room just off my kitchen, and in the Winter
> I call it my "big refrigerator", and immediately after cooking a large pot
> of "hot" I love putting it all in my COLD SCREEN ROOM!
>
> And no, putting something hot into a COLD place is NOT gonna make it
> "spoil sooner". Think physics AND biology!! Cooking is physics and
> spoilage is biology!

I don't think anyone here was talking about a hot pot spoiling
sooner by putting it immediately into a cold place, John. The
concern is putting very hot food in the fridge and warming up all
the other food in there that might spoil sooner because of that.

When I cook large batches of anything, I'll set the pot out on my
back porch to cool down. Works especially good in the winter when
outside is extremely cold. When it's hot out, I'll just leave it
on the stove for a bit.

==

I remember writing here in a panic to ask about onions and cats. We were
down at the farm and I put a pot out to cool. The farm cats got into
it It had a lot of onion in it. None seemed to die though thank
goodness!