Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_3_] John Kuthe[_3_] is offline

Default semi-hot item in cold fridge causes sour-ness

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 9:49:16 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> I've been watching old eps of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (USA
> edition). More than once, I've seen Gordon tear into chefs fer not
> knowing that putting a hot soup/sauce into a cold refrigerator makes sed
> soup/sauce "sour". True?
>
> I've been doing this (putting semi-hot soup in fridge) fer years. IME,
> letting soup/sauce cool on range-top prior to putting in refrigerator
> cause item to spoil sooner. Yes? No?
>
> nb

What we are actually talking about here is the RATE of cooling. I have a big ole 21qt pressure cooker I use just as a large cooking pot for large batches, like now my "Baked Beans" which never see an oven. I have a non-climate controlled screen room just off my kitchen, and in the Winter I call it my "big refrigerator", and immediately after cooking a large pot of "hot" I love putting it all in my COLD SCREEN ROOM!

And no, putting something hot into a COLD place is NOT gonna make it "spoil sooner". Think physics AND biology!! Cooking is physics and spoilage is biology!

Namaste

John Kuthe...