Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default semi-hot item in cold fridge causes sour-ness

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I've been watching old eps of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (USA
> edition). More than once, I've seen Gordon tear into chefs fer not
> knowing that putting a hot soup/sauce into a cold refrigerator makes sed
> soup/sauce "sour". True?
>
> I've been doing this (putting semi-hot soup in fridge) fer years. IME,
> letting soup/sauce cool on range-top prior to putting in refrigerator
> cause item to spoil sooner. Yes? No?
>
> nb

I generally let something cool to room temp if I can before putting it in
the fridge but not for the reasons you mentioned. Putting something really
hot next to cold food can cause that cold food to get to too high of a
temp., and that can be bad. Like wilted lettuce or melted cheese.

But... When I lived alone I would sometimes put an entire pot of chili or
soup in the fridge, hot. In those days that pot of food was likely the only
thing in there. I didn't keep much in the way of condiments or other foods
in those days except perhaps for some cheese and produce. The soup never got
sour.