Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default semi-hot item in cold fridge causes sour-ness

notbob wrote:

> I've been watching old eps of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (USA
> edition). More than once, I've seen Gordon tear into chefs fer not
> knowing that putting a hot soup/sauce into a cold refrigerator makes sed
> soup/sauce "sour". True?
>
> I've been doing this (putting semi-hot soup in fridge) fer years. IME,
> letting soup/sauce cool on range-top prior to putting in refrigerator
> cause item to spoil sooner. Yes? No?

I've never experienced that. Any soup/sauce I make, I'll let it
cool down for a while to let the temperature cool somewhat but
I've never taken one right off stove to fridge.

Gordon probably knows something that we don't.
Probably just a matter of timing.