Posted to rec.food.cooking
songbird songbird is offline

Default Help ! Canning problems

Terry Coombs wrote:
> Â* We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
> steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
> jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
> contents just up to theÂ* line below the threads . We've never had a
> bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
> problem might be .

i'm not sure what a steam processor might be, but
we've never had problems with any of our jars
breaking and i go from room temperature to pouring
boiling brines in over the cucumbers and beans and
no breaks. i used to pre-heat them by filling with
hot water and letting them sit for a minute or two.
i think the key is to not go from freezing to
boiling all at once.

we oven can, only a few have broken during that
stage, a missed crack in the jar i'm sure since
we've done many thousands of pints/quarts over
the years.

do you have a spacer or screen or something in
the bottom to keep the heat from going directly
from the pan to the jars?

maybe post a note to the preserving newsgroup...
a few people still read there.

songbird