Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Help ! Canning problems

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:37:24 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

> * We processed another batch of pickles today , and 3 jars broke in the
>steam processor . First batch we lost one . These are not-new wide mouth
>jars , and they're breaking near the bottom . They're not overfilled ,
>contents just up to the* line below the threads . We've never had a
>bottle break before and wonder if these have defects or just what the
>problem might be .

If you have a dish washer, run the jars through the extra hot cycle
and hold the jars in the dishwasher. I assume you are filling the
jars and then pouring hot brine into the jar. Take the hot jars from
the d.w., fill and pour in the hot liquid, seal and place in the
boiling water bath. (water in processor should already be ready to
boil) Adjust the circumstances if you are using a pressure cooker.
Hot jars, hot liquid, seal and into hot processing unit.
Janet US