Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default REC: Corn Fritters

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:49:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:30:32 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> > I got this recipe from the chef for my residence halls at the Univ. of
>> > Wisc. and long, long, long time ago. He very kindly cut the recipe
>> > down to home sized portions.
>> >
>> > Corn Fritters
>> > 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
>> > 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream corn
>> > 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
>> > 1/2 cup corn meal
>> > 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
>> > 1 tsp. salt
>> > 2 tsp. sugar
>> > 2 eggs
>> > 2 Tbsp. salad oil
>> >
>> > salad oil or shortening for deep frying
>> >
>> > Drain whole kernel corn very well, reserving 1/3 cup liquid
>> > Sift flour with corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
>> > In large bowl with rotary beater, beat eggs, 2 tbsp. salad oil and
>> > corn liquid until well combined; add cream corn.
>> > Stir gradually with wooden spoon, flour and cornmeal into egg mixture.
>> > Gently stir in drained corn. mix well.
>> > heat salad oil to 365F (2 inches deep)
>> > drop into hot fat by spoonfuls. Fry, turning once until golden brown,
>> > about 5 minutes
>> > Drain
>> > Serve with warm maple syrup
>> >
>> > Janet US

>> I tracked down my old recipe:
>>
>> 17-oz can creamed corn
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1/2 C flour
>> 1/2 t baking powder
>> oil
>>
>> Drain some liquid from corn; there should be 1 C left. Mix corn, eggs, flour, baking powder. Fry as for pancakes. Serve with butter and syrup.

>Has neither of you considered using fresh corn for fritters?
>Especially now while it's in season. That's what I use for mine.
>Canned corn, hamburger helper....what's the difference?

I just assumed that it was a given and not needed to be explained
(sorry I forgot about you Gary) that since this was a cooking group
everyone here would make their own substitutions and understand that
since I prefaced the recipe by giving an indication of the recipe's
age, substitutions would be made by those who could understand.
(Again, sorry I didn't spell it out for you Gary)