Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Simple foods with local cost factors

Hi, moving this post over here.

--------this is from a Yahoo group local chat area.

Tonight I was finishing up some work at home so Charlotte took over for
most of it. I only helped with the Garlic bread and suggested the
garlic addition to the jarred sauce.

As a quick fix I always have some jarred spaghetti sauce. This one is
a Classico 4 cheese blend. Charlotte added about 3/4 ts powdered
garlic to it which kicked just right against the sweetness.

Spaghetti boiled up of course.

I had some leftover bread from Saturday's bake in the fridge which I
sliced somewhat 'Texas Toast' sized making 6 slices. I took about 1/2
stick butter in the microwave (maybe a tad more, I was matching
leftover knobs up) and sprinkled that well with roasted garlic (1.5ts
likely). It's important to use roasted here for just that
quintessential version. That was softened in the microwave then spread
over the bread and baked to crispy. *

Looks good, tastes good!

I estimate 40cents of pasta and 1.50 for the sauce. I used 6 fairly
thick slices of bread (home made) at probably 20cents total. My added
garlic may have been 20 cents? Probably less but will roll with that
cost. The butter is generally sale priced to 2lbs/4$ so 25cents a stick
and we will call it 15cents worth.

..40+1.50+.20+.20+.15=2.45 for the meal or 82 cents split by 3 of us.
It's actually less as we will have leftovers of the spaghetti for 2
small lunches likely.

* This was started in the oven when it hit 275 and still heating to
350. Checked at 5 minutes when the temp was 350. We let it go another
3 minutes and it was ready for us, but another may want more browning.
as some may like it.