Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected][_2_] itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net[_2_] is offline

Default Bacteria on kitchen towels

https://www.livescience.com/62789-ki...-bacteria.html

> > They're acting like this is new information. They've done tests many,
> > many years ago to prove that wet/damp kitchen towels have bacteria on
> > them.
> >

> True about the studies. It should be common sense to wash kitchen
> towels frequently. Still, I'm not afraid to use the same kitchen towel
> (for *drying my hands*) for a week. More important, IMHO, is washing
> your hands. I do that before, during (prep) and after cooking.

A hanging dish towel in my kitchen for hand drying for me, as well.
There's also paper towels and it's 50/50 which one I grab to dry my
hands. I simply cannot recall the last time I dried a dish to put
it away. It air dries and that's that.

> Another not surprise from the article. If you have a large family/kids
> going in and out of the kitchen, they're all going to be using that
> towel at some point. So how's about you wash it more frequently?

If there were kids here I'd probably be changing that towel daily.

> I don't know about you folks but even as a single person I have a drawer
> containing a number of clean, folded kitchen towels. It's called doing
> "laundry once a week".
>
> Jill

I have to be careful when out shopping and get into the kitchen linen area
of a store. For some reason dish towels and dish clothes end up in my cart.
Heavens, I have a huge collection now so I try to steer clear. Hahahaha