Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

:

>>>I'll have to look more carefully. Seems like most foods come in tab cans
>>>with rimless bottoms. I'll evidently have to look closer.

>> Any can opener will work on the tab top,

>That's not true. Many pull tab cans have a deeper lip that the
>traditional top cutter won't reach.
>
>-sw

Some pull tab cans do have a deeper lip but not so deep that my
Swing-A-Way won't open them. I just now used my Swing-A-Way on a pull
tab can of Goya garbonzos, works fine. Perhaps some electric openers
won't work but I've never owned one.
Now that I'm thinking about it the large cans of Walmart coffee have
sort of pull tab, a foil cover with a pull tab. Its lip is deeper too
but I use the Swing-A-Way to remove the entire top with no problem.
Pulling the foil lid leaves a fairly wide inside rim that makes it
difficult to pour the coffee into the plastic cannister that we use,
actually a red plastic Folgers container, has to be the best designed
coffee container out there, has a molded in hand hold making that
large diameter 33.9 oz. container easy to pick up with one hand. We
saved a few Folgers containers, very handy, and there are different
sizes.