Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Etna, CA Rhine white, Burg Piedmont reds

On 6/12/18 1:52 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Thursday we had hot dogs on the patio, with the 2016 Keller €śVon Der Fels€ť Riesling Trocken.
> Dry but with sweet pit fruits, ginger, wet rocks. Good acids, crisp. B+

I love this bottling. Many of the Keller wines are priced beyond my
pocketbook, especially so since Jean's not a Riesling fan (and certainly
not a Bueker :P) but this one hits my sweet spot for pricing and style.

> Some lovely days and before dinner a few nights we sat on front porch. The 2016 Terre Nere Etna Bianco had ripe peach fruit, a little waxy note, but not enough acid to stay lively. Have liked more in past vintages. C+/B-

I had to Google the encepagement of this wine. What a strange mixture!

> Saturday I hit the butcher for a couple of 30 day dry aged rib steaks, grilled and served over herb salad with horseradish/caper dressing. That recipe was suggested as a Petite Sirah pairing, but I felt like young Burgundy. I was a little worried the 2010 Rollin €śIle des Vergelesses€ť Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru might be closed, but it was lively and approachable, Rich raspberry and cranberry fruit, earth, smoke. Theres some tannin but not aggressive. Good acids, long finish. I should buy more Rollin. B+/A-

I've been buying Rollin when I see it offered after it was touted as a
rare unchaptalized Burgundy. In my limited experience they take a long
time to open up fully, but they do reward patience. I've got the '06
and '12 IdV. I'll bring one the next time I'm headed your way.

Mark Lipton