Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default WTN: Etna, CA Rhine white, Burg Piedmont reds

Thursday we had hot dogs on the patio, with the 2016 Keller €śVon Der Fels€ť Riesling Trocken.
Dry but with sweet pit fruits, ginger, wet rocks. Good acids, crisp. B+

Some lovely days and before dinner a few nights we sat on front porch. The 2016 Terre Nere Etna Bianco had ripe peach fruit, a little waxy note, but not enough acid to stay lively. Have liked more in past vintages. C+/B-

With yakitori chicken, rice with nori, bok choy in oyster sauce the 1998 Macarini €śLa Serra€ť Barolo. I had this standing up as a backup for a tasting couple weeks ago, rather than return to racks just opened and decanted it. Took a while to get its stride. Red fruit, violets, a little funky edge that veered between barnyard and truffle. Got some tar after a while. With a couple hours air this was quite lovely, balanced young Nebbiolo with a long finish. A-/B+

Saturday I hit the butcher for a couple of 30 day dry aged rib steaks, grilled and served over herb salad with horseradish/caper dressing. That recipe was suggested as a Petite Sirah pairing, but I felt like young Burgundy. I was a little worried the 2010 Rollin €śIle des Vergelesses€ť Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru might be closed, but it was lively and approachable, Rich raspberry and cranberry fruit, earth, smoke. Theres some tannin but not aggressive. Good acids, long finish. I should buy more Rollin. B+/A-

Sunday some scallops from our local farmers market, rapini and Swiss chard from CSA, pasta with pesto and the 2009 Bedrock €śCaritas€ť . This is a Bdx blend (60 Sem/40 SB). Full and rich, but overoaked. This is my last one, I kept hoping for better integration, but not yet. C+/B-