Posted to rec.food.cooking
KenK KenK is offline

Default OT, sort of - help opeming food tab cans

heyjoe > wrote in
news
> On 11 Jun 2018 13:48:54 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Looking for something to hold a food can upright when I use a tab can
>> opener. Problem is, as I move to "J" shaped opener to lift the lid
>> the can tilts because I can't hold it firmly with my arthritic other
>> hand. Searching Amazon now - not a lot of hope. Something that I can
>> put the can in on the counter that will hold it firmly. Anyone make
>> such a device?
>>

> Why use the tab to open the can? Take your favorite can opener to it!

Trouble is, more and more products are coming in tab cans and there is no
rim on the bottom of these cans to use a can opener. I guess I'll have to
stop shopping by brand and price and concentrate on the type of can.

I have a couple of small vegetable cans with transparent plastic lids.
That type of lid would be ideal!

> If you use one of those pierce and cut type openers, and it isn't long
> enough to reach the bottom of the groove, take a look at one that cuts
> on the side to remove the lid.

Will they work with the rimless bottom of the usual tab can? I've not
noticed this type of can opener. I'll have to look next time I get to
Walmart or wherever.