Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tough radishes

I know this isn't a gardening group but I thought someone here might know. I
am growing English Breakfast radishes. I have grown them before with no
problems. We haven't had any really hot weather yet. Leaves came on quickly.
I tried eating a couple a few weeks ago. While tender and flavorful, they
were toothpick skinny. So I let them go but now it's to the point where a
few have gone to seed. But they're still not right! Angela and I pulled some
up and tried to eat them. Couldn't. Now they're about the width of three
round toothpicks. Length seems right. But... We could not bite into them.
They are very woody and tough. So we just sucked the flavor out and tossed
them.

What would cause this? Thanks!