Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dinner Tonight 5/16/18

On 5/17/2018 12:03 PM, l not -l wrote:

>>> Sadly, I did; I ate much more slaw than I should have, not because I
>>> needed
>>> it to be full, but because it was very tasty. 8-)
>>>

>> I've never met a coleslaw [recipe] I liked. I love cabbage, just can't
>> stand coleslaw. I'm glad you and many others enjoy it. More for you!
>>
>> Jill

> I may encounter a slaw I don't like this evening; but, maybe I will like it
> - we'll see. I'm making jicama slaw to go with dinner tonight. Jicama,
> carrot, lime juice and a couple of things I'm not remembering off the top of
> my head.

Ah, but you have an interesting and convenient Asian market nearby. You
probably walk by a market that sells jicama nearly every day. I'd have
to go looking for it and so far, no reason.

I've always had the impression jicama is similar in taste and texture to
water chestnuts. Am I at all close?

I do like water chestnuts, although they aren't something I think about
often. Just so happens I have a can of them in the pantry. I cannot
remember when I bought them.

I've got a recipe for "Oriental Hamburgers" written out by my mother.
She likely picked this up from another O-Wife when we were in Thailand.
It calls for canned, drained and chopped water chestnuts. Add to ground
beef along with ginger, garlic, chopped mushrooms, soy sauce. It's been
a long time since I made them so this is off the top of my head.

It's actually a very moist mixture so cornstarch is added to hold the
patties together. They were patted out by hand, then left to chill on
waxed paper before grilling. Absolutely delicious.

If anyone would like I'll dig up the recipe for "Oriental Burgers" and
post it again. They really are very tasty. It's definitely a lot of
work for hamburgers. But maybe worth it.

Jill