Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: SW France, Pape Clement, Sauzet, FLakes, Tablas, etc

Some friends have had us (or just me if Betsy out of town) over for dinner a half dozen times since we started on kitchen. So last week we took them out to Saint George in Hastings for dinner. Free BYO night, and we had a nice meal- split some oysters, then I had escargot and lamb chops

2007 Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet
Found a couple forgotten bottles, a bit longer than I usually hold white Burg now. But this worked out- no premox here, white pear fruit with a touch of lemon, good stony finish. Quite fun. B+

1990 Ch. Pape Clement
Double-decanted couple hours in advance. Starts out more cassis driven but with air some red cherry. Tobacco, gravelly dirt, a little saddle leather. Drinking beautifully, classic mature Graves.A-

Some other jazz musicians offered Ron a taste, but my glass was full, but not sure Im disappointed to miss a blend from €śSicily, Veneto, and Puglia€ť that is a Luca Maroni (the James Suckling of Italy) 98. Probably not my style.

Friday we went to friends for meatloaf, potatoes, and salad.

2014 Dr. Konstantin Frank Cabernet Sauvignon
Riper /less weedy than Id expect for Finger Lakes CS, sweet fruit fruit, some light vanilla. B-

2011 Tablas Creek Esprit de Tablas
Fresh, berry driven, very spicy with an anise note. B+

Betsy left for the Stamford train station (getting her niece as a surprise for her sister), dropped me at my local tasting group. Theme was SW France.

Greeted with a pleasant rose where I didnt see bottle, and an offtheme bottle, the 2011 Pahlmeyer Merlot. Black berries and blue berries, chocolate pudding, some tannin, low acid. Not my style, some others loved., C+

To table (a couscous, I managed to eat a bit despite having dinner),

One white
2016 Laballe €śLes Terres Basses€ť
Colombard, Ugni Blanc, and Gros Manseng. Lime/grapefruit, a bit shrill, but refreshing after the Merlot. B-/C+

The reds, blind

1991 Pichard Madiran
Good showing. Fred got Madiran right away, but guessed 2001. Meaty/smoky, with good black plum fruit. B+/B

2015 Elian Da Ros €śLe Vin est une Fete€ť (Cotes du Marmandais)
New appellation to me. 40% Abouriou (new grape to me), 40% Cabernet franc, 20% Merlot. Round, red and black plum, short finish but easy drinking. B/B-

2015 Laplace Madiran
Dark, quite tannic, dark berry and blackcurrant. A little hard right now. B/B-

2015 Ch., Maris (Minervois)
Oops, geography a little off. Peppery red GSM blend. B

2011 Montus Madiran
Full bodied, moderate acids, firm tannins, dark fruits. Long finish. B+

2016 Cazerac Cahors
Sweet fruit, low tannins and acids, easy/fruitforward style of Malbec. B-

Fun night