Posted to alt.food.wine
Eric Lafontaine[_2_] Eric Lafontaine[_2_] is offline

Default Alsace Wine Label Question

On 2018-04-10 21:23, cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. My wife and I just enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Domaine Ehrhart
> Pinot Gris. Written on the label, under the line Pinot Gris and above
> the line 2012, is IM BERG. What does that mean/signify? I know that
> berg can usually mean town or village. But what is IM? Is that the
> name of a village? Or does it mean something altogether different?

Quite a few "domaine Ehrhart", but it is quite probable that in any case
"Im Berg" is the name of a parcel without special ranking (meaning no
grand cru level)

"Im" is the contracted form of the German "in dem", i.e. "in the", and
"Berg" is mount, mountain, slope or anything similar, so not in the
(usually less favored) lower places in the valley

Town/village is "Burg"

Apologies for the wrong direct reply, I just found out about Thunderbird
now using "Followup" instead of "Reply" for newsgroups

--
Éric Lafontaine