Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: Wine with friends- Piedmont, CdP, Bdx, Chablis, Kremstal

With my lack of kitchen and Betsy away, friends invited me for dinner.
Marinated shrimp, artichokes
Prosecco Extra Dry that I wrote down as Franco di Rao, but cant find any records of anything close to that on CT or Winesearcher.Doesn't matter- It was forgettable wine.

Rigtatoni with meat sauce (fennel sausage and ground pork)
2001 Sella Lessona
Really in a nice place, red cherry, tar, and flowers, resolved tannins, balanced acid. B+/A-

2005 Valfieri Barolo
Midbodied, fairly open, some tannin, black cherry. B/B-

1996 Talbot (375 ml)
Pretty classic claret- cassis, cigarbox, leather. Fully mature from half. B+

Saturday I grilled some sausage & squash, reheated some quinoa, made salad.

1993 Salomon Undhof Kogl Library Release Riesling
Released about a dozen years ago, hasnt progressed much since then.. Grapefruit, ginger, light honey note (though pretty dry). Modest finish, competent if unexciting. B-

Betsy came home from a concert in Pocantico Hills bearing lobster. Didnt think the Riesling was best match, 2013 Fevre €śles Clos€ť Chablis Grand Cru. Really young, pit fruits, great mineral finish, taut. A-/B+

Betsy, Ruby, and I walked over hill for a dinner party Sunday night.
As folks gathered, some excellent crudite as well as other snacks, and the NV Evohe X Cava Brut Nature. Brut Nature? Seems pretty sweet to me. Appley, not too attractive. C+/B-

With chateaubriand, €śParty potatoes€ť (sour cream and cream cheese), salad, and asparagus

1986 Meyney
This caught me a little by surprise, delicious as always, but I think of this as a cassis driven wine and this seemed more red fruited. Cherry and rich raspberry, leather, tobacco. Balanced and with a nice finish. Tasty mature claret. B+

2000 Lava Cap €śGranite Hill Reserve€ť Petite Sirah
This was tannic in youth and I put away, but didnt really plan on this long. It actually has held up ok, just not improved. Less tannic, but a bit hot and jammy. Others liked much more than I did. B-/C+

2004 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Kirsch and strawberry, quite herbal, midbodied, some forest floor and mushroom. Nicely balanced, ready to go. B+/B

2010 La Rioja Alta €śAlberdi€ť Rioja Reserva
Popped and poured at end of night, think this would have benefited from air.. Vanillin oak and red fruit, stern. Only had a quick sip, would like to explore another time