Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: 2 Pomerols and 1 "Cave des Pomerol" (?!?!), Loire, Minervois,Baden sticky

Thursday AM was spent shoveling snow, shoulder was a bit sore and I thought it affected my mood. Made dinner for Betsy and I (shrimp/clam/fennel pasta) and opened the 2016 Pepiere La Pepie Muscadet. Light, easy, saline, but about halfway through meal (and first glass) I realized I was ill. So left remainder, Betsy used for cooking next 2 nights. I didnt make any notes at time, but think a pretty credible effort in a tough year.

By Saturday I was better, a couple of friends helped Betsy start packing up kitchen to prepare for dinner, we had helpers and their spouses for dinner.. Starter was smoked salmon on toast with a little mustard/horseradish sauce, and a summer truffle €śsalsa€ť on toast

2010 Yann Alexander Blanc de Blancs Champagne. Acids and tight bubbles, bright, green apple, slightly shrill but fun. B

Main was meatloaf, with mashed potato/turnips, broccoli and salad.
1989 Ch. Gazin
Nice showing with black plums, cocoa, and a distinct smoke note. Tannins have mostly receded, good finish, gets a bit herby at end. B+

2012 Calluna Cuvee CVC
Nice Bdx blend, black cherry and plum, a bit of vanilla/oak but not overwhelming, good acids, nice framing of tannin. B/B+

Sunday we walked over to some friends for a nice dinner party. Started with liver mousse and garlic pesto canapes

NV Guillot Champagne Brut
Appley, sweet, a bit coarse, C+/B-

2016 Caves de Pomerol Picpoul de Pinet
Light, citrus and kiwi, easy. B-

Then to table, where we started with an excellent scallop carpaccio
2016 Michel Vattan €śCalcaire€ť Sancerre
Apples, grass, just a hint of gooseberry. Moderate ripeness, not really a mineral Sancerre. B-

Delicious butterflied Catskill chicken, a Thai risotto (broth had coconut milk & lemongrass added), and Swiss chard.
2001 Ch. Bourgneuf
Still some tannin, but open and inviting. Red and black plum, a ferric mineral note, some green garden herbs with air. Not a headturner but a solid value Pomerol. Drink or hold. B+

2015 Ch., Maris (Minervois)
Label proclaims Biodynamic Syrah-Grenache is large print (much larger than producer or appellation). Actually pretty decent in a typical southern/Languedoc ripe style, with a peppery note. B/B+

And with a selection of Bobolink cheeses
1999 Kiechlinsberger Olberg Gewurztraminer Eiswein (Baden) (500 ml I think)
Others liked this, certainly alive, with some tropical fruit and marzipan notes, but I didnt find at all complex., and not noticably Gewurz-ish. B-/C+