Posted to rec.food.cooking
Graham Graham is offline

Default Making Corned beef and Pastrami

On 2018-03-13 9:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 2018-03-13 7:47 AM, wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 07:41:49 -0400, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/13/2018 4:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> PP#2 is over 5% Sodium Nitrite and over 4% Sodium Nitrate.
>> It is designed for UNCOOKED cured meats, like sausages.
>>

> With all that salt and modern fridges, I wonder if these two are really
> necessary. AIUI, the nitrite certainly isn't.
>
> Are you saying I won't need to refrigerate my brisket when it is done??
>
> Hmm I don't think I want to take a chance)Â* Or where you not referring
> to that?

No, it was that I read a study some years ago that questioned using
those two oxidants that may have been necessary 100 years ago but
possibly not any more.
The nitrite was added to preserve colour and later was found to be a
good bactericide and fungicide so was then thought necessary.
There has been work to suggest that the nitrite is the chief culprit in
forming nitrosamines, nasty carcinogens.