William R. Watt

zxcvbob ) writes:

> Does 91% isopropyl alcohol work? It's not as easy to find as the 70%,
> but easier to find and cheaper than any appropriate form of ethanol.

the free Dept of Agriculture booklet on how to make jelly says NOT
isopropyl. has to be ethyl (ethanol). I couldn't find ethyl until I asked
a pharmacist. they keep hidden away behind the counter, I guess to keep
winos from killing themselves by drinking it. it's the same alcohol as in
liquor and added to gasoline but "denatured" so it's poinsonous to drink.
I got a very small plastic bottle for about $3 last year and only used a
bit so far. I fish each glob of solidified juice out and keep using the
small amount in the shot glass, then at the end of a jelly making session
pour it back into the plastic bottle. So hardly any gets used up.

the ethanol I have is 95%. the bookelt doesn't say anything about
concentreation, just rubbing alcohol. (Across the Ottawa River in Quebec
liquor stores you can buy bottles of 80% pure ethanol fit for human
consumption. It can be used for preserving and for extracting herb
essences. I haven't gone over to look at it but I assume the price would
be much lower by volume than the rubbing alcohol.)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm