Scott

In article >,
(Kevintsheehy) wrote:

> 2. Don't wash meat and poultry, since that can spread bacteria
> around the kitchen.
>
> My reaction - I don't recall seeing such a comment in the food safety
> part of the report, although I will go back and look. I always rinse meat
> and poultry and clean up thoroughly afterwards. Is this an item of common
> knowledge which I'm not aware of?

Sounds counterintuitive, but the USDA does indeed hold that position, in
a limited way (the following is not from the food pyramid report--and it
seems strange that this topic would be):
<http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/washing.htm>

"Does Washing Food Promote Food Safety?

Historically, we equate washing to cleanliness. We wash clothes, linens,
cars, dishes, and ourselves. So, it is logical that many people believe
meat and poultry can be made cleaner and safer by washing it. Is this
true? Does washing meat, poultry, eggs, fruits, and vegetables make them
safer to eat?

Review of studies from several universities related to washing meat and
poultry indicate that there is no benefit. In fact, washing can allow
bacteria on meat and poultry to spread to other ready-to-eat foods. But
always remember, bacteria that is present on the surface of the meat or
poultry will be destroyed by cooking to a temperature of 160 F.

Cross-Contamination

Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods,
utensils, and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.

Hand washing after handling raw meat or poultry or its packaging is a
necessity because anything you touch afterwards could become
contaminated. In other words, you could become ill by picking up a piece
of fruit and eating it after handling raw meat or poultry. Practice good
hand washing before and after handling raw foods as well as when using
the bathroom, changing diapers, tending to a sick person, blowing your
nose, sneezing and coughing, and after petting animals.

It is important to prevent cross-contamination from raw meat or poultry
juices by washing counter tops and sinks with hot, soapy water. If
desired, you may sanitize with a solution of one teaspoon of liquid
chlorine bleach per quart of water.

Packaging materials from raw meat or poultry also can cause
cross-contamination. Never reuse them with other food items. These and
other disposable packaging materials, such as foam meat trays, egg
cartons, or plastic wraps, should be discarded.

Washing or Soaking Meat and Poultry

Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not
recommended. Some consumers think they are removing bacteria from the
meat and making it safer; however, any bacteria present on the surface
is destroyed by cooking it to a temperature of 160 F.

Callers to the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline sometimes ask about soaking
poultry in salt water. This is a personal preference and serves no
purpose for food safety. If you choose to do this, however, preventing
cross-contamination when soaking and removing the poultry from the water
is essential.

Sometimes consumers wash or soak ham, bacon, or salt pork because they
think it reduces the sodium or salt enough to allow these products to be
eaten on a sodium-restricted diet. However, very little salt is removed
by washing, rinsing, or soaking a meat product and is not recommended.

Washing Eggs

Do not wash eggs before storing or using them. Washing is a routine part
of commercial egg processing and the eggs do not need to be washed
again. Federal regulations outline procedures and cleansers that may be
used. "Bloom", the natural coating on just-laid eggs that helps prevent
bacteria from permeating the shell, is removed by the washing process
and is replaced by a light coating of edible mineral oil which restores
protection. Extra handling of the eggs, such as washing, could increase
the risk of cross-contamination, especially if the shell becomes cracked.

Washing Produce

Before eating or preparing, wash fresh produce under cold running tap
water to remove any lingering dirt. This reduces bacteria that may be
present. If there is a firm surface, such as on apples or potatoes, the
surface can be scrubbed with a brush. Consumers should not wash fruits
and vegetables with detergent or soap. These products are not approved
or labeled by the Food and Drug Administration for use on foods. You
could ingest residues from soap or detergent absorbed on the produce.

When preparing fruits and vegetables, cut away any damaged or bruised
areas because bacteria that cause illness can thrive in those places.
Immediately refrigerate any fresh-cut items such as salad or fruit for
best quality and food safety."

please mail OT responses only