Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default "Eat lightly when you're a guest" - question

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:23:33 -0500, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 2/10/2018 9:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/10/2018 9:17 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I've heard (well, seen) people say they miss the old days when
>>> people got dressed up to go shopping, or worse, the airport.
>>> Comfort is more important these days.* If I'm clean and neat,
>>> it'll have to be good enough.
>>>

>> I vaguely remember those Jackie Kennedy days.

>If I was Jackie Kennedy I'd dress up all the time, too, because
>every day she stepped out the door there were photographers. My idea
>of hell.
>
>> I have a drawer full of
>> gloves my mother owned.* Long gloves for formal occasions (Marine Corps
>> Ball, no doubt) and short gloves for when she was going to a luncheon. I
>> have a couple of her old hats, too.* I don't remember her wearing them
>> to go shopping, though.

>I came across some gloves at my mother's house, even a couple of
>old hats. I don't recall ever seeing her wear anything like that.
>
>nancy

My mom had a collection of formal gloves and hats that she wore most
every time she stepped outdoors, in winter she'd go grocery shopping
with her wire cart (she ddiddn't drive) while wearing her persian lamb
winter coat... she also sometimes wore fox stoles, with heads and feet
attached. Fashions of those times were very different.