Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default "Eat lightly when you're a guest" - question

On 2/10/2018 11:23 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/10/2018 9:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/10/2018 9:17 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I've heard (well, seen) people say they miss the old days when
>>> people got dressed up to go shopping, or worse, the airport.
>>> Comfort is more important these days.Â* If I'm clean and neat,
>>> it'll have to be good enough.
>>>

>> I vaguely remember those Jackie Kennedy days.

> If I was Jackie Kennedy I'd dress up all the time, too, because
> every day she stepped out the door there were photographers.Â* My idea
> of hell.

Mine, too. But hey, Jackie set trends! Not that the average American
could afford those trends.

>> I have a drawer full of gloves my mother owned.Â* Long gloves for
>> formal occasions (Marine Corps Ball, no doubt) and short gloves for
>> when she was going to a luncheon. I have a couple of her old hats,
>> too.Â* I don't remember her wearing them to go shopping, though.

> I came across some gloves at my mother's house, even a couple of
> old hats.Â* I don't recall ever seeing her wear anything like that.
>
> nancy

It's funny what mothers' hang onto. I don't know what I'm supposed to
do with these gloves or the couple of hats.

Here's a little velvet hat with a veil:

https://s13.postimg.org/3o2plj993/velvet_veil.jpg

And this thing from Woodward & Lothrop in Washington, DC. Mohair with a
rhinestone embellishment:

https://s13.postimg.org/su3nsi807/mohair.jpg

The era fits Jackie Kennedy because that's when we lived right outside
of Washington, DC. Dad was stationed at Quantico, VA and we lived in
off-base housing in Woodbridge. Mom apparently bought a couple of hats
in DC.

Jill