Posted to rec.food.cooking
sanne[_2_] sanne[_2_] is offline

Default "Eat lightly when you're a guest" - question

Am Samstag, 10. Februar 2018 07:56:45 UTC+1 schrieb Golden One:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 00:10:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:14:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:
> >
> >> "...The act of cleaning one's plate and emptying the glass has
> >> different meanings, depending on the culture. Jordanians leave a
> >> small amount as a sign of politeness. Filipinos keep a little on
> >> the plate to show that the hosts have provided well. Conversely, as
> >> with Marina's (Cambodian) family, cleaning the plate sometimes
> >> signals that the guest still wants more and the hosts have not
> >> provided sufficiently.
> >>
> >> "With Koreans, the glass will not be refilled if there is still
> >> some liquid in it, and Egyptians leave some food on the plate as a
> >> symbol of abundance and a compliment to the host. For Thais,
> >> leaving food means you are finished or it was delicious. For
> >> Indonesians, leaving food on the plate means the diner is impolite.
> >> For the Japanese, cleaning one's plate means the guest appreciates
> >> the food. Finishing the rice in the bowl signals that the diner has
> >> finished the meal.

> >What does it mean when you turn the plate vertical and move your head
> >in a circular motion licking the plate clean?

There's not enough bread (or whatever) to get all the good sauce!

> Made me laugh.

Me too. Reminded me of a commercial for a sauce-from-the-box - in a
high-class restaurant, they run out of self-made gravy and use that stuff
instead. After a while, the staff ask themselves "Did they notice?"
because they hear not a sound from the guests. They take a peek - all
the patrons are busy licking their plates clean with only a low "mmmmm!"
audible...

> My Mother would be horrified. Shortly before she died she saw one of
> her favourite TV chefs do this and she never spoke his name again!
>
> My grandmother made sure all her daughters were ladies, as did her
> mother before her. Tough as nails, but ladies nontheless.

I bet she taught them to eat spaghetti noiselessly?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAZmLmyCJk

> Food tonight - thick fillet steaks for everyone (7 of us tonight)
> purchased at a super special from the used meat section and a large
> kitchen sink salad. With my eating habits lately I will probably
> forego the steak.

I'm thinking Ratatouille.

Bye, Sanne