Posted to rec.food.cooking
JBurns JBurns is offline

Default "Eat lightly when you're a guest" - question

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 00:10:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:14:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> "...The act of cleaning one's plate and emptying the glass has
>> different meanings, depending on the culture. Jordanians leave a
>> small amount as a sign of politeness. Filipinos keep a little on
>> the plate to show that the hosts have provided well. Conversely, as
>> with Marina's (Cambodian) family, cleaning the plate sometimes
>> signals that the guest still wants more and the hosts have not
>> provided sufficiently.
>>
>> "With Koreans, the glass will not be refilled if there is still
>> some liquid in it, and Egyptians leave some food on the plate as a
>> symbol of abundance and a compliment to the host. For Thais,
>> leaving food means you are finished or it was delicious. For
>> Indonesians, leaving food on the plate means the diner is impolite.
>> For the Japanese, cleaning one's plate means the guest appreciates
>> the food. Finishing the rice in the bowl signals that the diner has
>> finished the meal.

>What does it mean when you turn the plate vertical and move your head
>in a circular motion licking the plate clean?
>
>-sw

Made me laugh.

My Mother would be horrified. Shortly before she died she saw one of
her favourite TV chefs do this and she never spoke his name again!

My grandmother made sure all her daughters were ladies, as did her
mother before her. Tough as nails, but ladies nontheless.

Food tonight - thick fillet steaks for everyone (7 of us tonight)
purchased at a super special from the used meat section and a large
kitchen sink salad. With my eating habits lately I will probably
forego the steak.

JB