Gerry

In article >, Nomen
Nescio > wrote:

> > One of those amazing surprises: We bumped into a chopstick store in
> > the neightborhood of Kobe named Motomachi where we probably spent
> > 45 minues. Hundreds of pairs of chopsticks on the wall, each
> > beautiful, different, curious, fascinating.

> What are the different names for different kinds of chopsticks? I
> know "hashi" or "ohashi" but I don't know which kind that term refers
> to or if it's generic for any (all) chopsticks.

I don't think there are other names. Hashi means chopsticks. o-hashi
is the honorific version of same. I think that's about it. If you got
cheap and disposable chopsticks, you might qualify it with "better" or
"fancy" or "not junk" or something.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.