Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default WTN: Riesling, Gamay, Catarratto, Sangiovese

Im mostly avoiding wine on weeknights (trying not to put back on weight), but after the €śbomb cyclone€ť hit and I spent day shoveling, thought I deserved some Chianti with Betsys ragu bolognese. The 2010 Rocca di Castagnoli €śPoggio aFrati€ť Chianti Classico is a bigger framed Chianti, red cherry and leather, good acids, tannins palpable but not hard. B+
On a frigid Friday, Betsy made cod in a chipotle sauce with greens and turnips

2016 Defino Catarratto
I had ordered a couple with memory of liking a previous vintage. But this is round and flat, peach and melon, lacking backbone and length. Looking back it was the Defino Frappato that I enjoyed. Good thing was when I picked up mixed case from CSW they made a (rare) mistake, and gave me 2 of a (more expensive) Soave and only 1 of the Catarratto. When I pointed out they let the price difference slide. Now especially happy re mistake. C+

2014 Karthauserhof Ruwer trocken
Citrus and ginger, sprightly acids, nice length for a $15 Riesling. B/B+

Saturday was sous vide miso salmon, Brussels sprouts, arugula salad, and a leftover corn souffle. 2013 Lapierrer Morgon isnt the most complex Morgon youll run across, but its very easy drinking in a fresh red berry way. There is a bit of tannin, but so open I think Ill just drink my other 750s now. B+

Sunday was sous vide chicken with tarragon, sous vide glazed carrots (new machine, enjoying playing), collards with garlic, and whole wheat couscous. The 2015 Eva Fricke Lorcher Schlossberg (Rheingau) isnt totally dry, more feinherb/halbtrocken, yellow fruits and a gingery spice, big. B+/B